A Portland physician for almost 40 years, Dr. Ron Naito’s life’s work came to an abrupt end in August 2018 when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Gifted with precious time through treatment, Ron found other ways to be of service. Beloved by his patients for the deep presence and gifted communication skills that he brought to his practice, Ron dedicated himself to teaching these skills to others. Ron died on December 22, 2019, surrounded by love and light.
Based in Oregon, Ronald W. Naito MD Foundation is a new organization created by Ron to continue his legacy of healing through compassionate, equitable, and sustainable philanthropy. Ronald W. Naito MD Foundation supports local, national, and international climate change and health initiatives, while also addressing the social causes of health and wellness disparities. It also supports Oregon-based arts and education organizations, especially those focused on underserved communities.
More about Ron:
- Ronald W. Naito MD obituary, The Oregonian, 12.27.19
- The Oregonian 6.17.2019
- Scripps TV Interview: Ronald W. Naito
- Kaiser Health News: Never Say ‘Die’
- OHSU: Learning How to Embrace Life in the Face of Death
- OHSU: Delivering a Dire Diagnosis
- OHSU Center for Ethics – Dr. Naito with students
- OHSU: The Gift of Presence in Medical Practice
- The Portland Clinic – Naito Interview
- The Portland Clinic – Thank you, Dr. Naito
- May 2019 MSMP Scribe
Ronald W. Naito MD Foundation Trustees:
Kris Anderson, Executive Director
This website is under construction. Thank you for your patience as we work on it. Meanwhile, our grants page is an available resource.